[AT] OT-Windows 10

William Parris william_parris at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:17:02 PST 2021

Just tried to do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro
20H2 on my friend's Dell Inspiron laptop.

After the upgrade, the laptop screen is black and cannot be made to work.
The laptop works on an external monitor.

I just tried to upgrade a Dell Optiplex workstation running Windows 10 2004
to Windows 10 20H2.  This also failed.  I've

never had a Windows 10 version upgrade fail and neither has my brother who
has his own IT company.

That is why before I do anything like this, I do an image of the system
using Active@ Disk Image.  That way, if I have a failure

for whatever reason, I can restore the system to what it was before.  It's
better to be safe than sorry.  Of course I could have

done a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the laptop and Windows 10 2004 on
the desktop workstation, but all of the programs

and files would have been lost.  If the system is not running, you can't
roll it back to the previous version of Windows.

I always assume that if anything can go wrong, it has a good chance of doing
it.  It's too late to close the barn door after the horse is out.

William

  _____