[AT] John Deere Projects UPDATES

Bill Brueck bill at apluscomputer.com
Thu Jul 2 22:44:29 PDT 2020

Curious you should ask, Mark.  I started the table with the top row being for the H.  But the MPI had blank weight entries for both the flywheel and for the crankshaft.

But…I just happen to have a spare H flywheel so I weighed it.  81 pounds.  It came with a pallet of Deere parts and I don’t expect to ever need it so it’s in the scrap iron pile.  If anyone needs a hand crank H flywheel, speak fast…I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse.  Next time grandson comes out looking for something to do we’ll be loading a pickup load of scrap.

I just checked the catalogs again, this time looked up H flywheel assembly with tightener bolts and ring gear.  There’s a weight entry for that: 100 pounds.  The hand-crank one I weighed had the tightening bolts removed and of course no ring gear but that wouldn’t make 19 pounds.  Curious: a little heavier flywheel for starter vs hand start.  The other flywheels in my chart would have all been ring gear models, with possible exception of the D, I don’t remember.

B²
Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.