[AT] OK, oddball question...

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:44:28 PDT 2019

“Short answer is no, they don't have any built-in protection.”

If I had thought about that for a few minutes, I should have realized that was the case at least for externally regulated alternators.  The power out wire from the alternator goes straight to the battery, typically not even passing near the regulator.  Actual output current isn’t available to the regulator.  My old diagrams (at least 20 years old) of internally regulated alternators show the same connections, just all stuffed inside the alternator housing.

On the very late model cars, there is computer control of charging.  I have no idea whether they look at current level.

Jim Becker