[AT] Welding Rails

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Dec 3 18:24:32 PST 2019

When I was installing remote sensing gauges for river levels, we used
the thermite welding process to connect our gauge housings and antennas
to the 1/0 copper wire that was buried in the ground for lightning
protection.   It required welding 3 copper radials from the gauge
housing to a wire buried in a 12ft diameter circle 3 ft deep. Each
radial was also welded to a copper plated ground rod driven 9 ft deep in
the ground.  We used Cadweld brand Thermite and molds to accomplish
this.  We must have done it right, in the first year of operation we had
3 of our 18 gauges take direct lightning strikes.  All 3 stayed online
after automatic reset.
I took a crash course in lightning protection for tall structures.  It
was one of my more interesting   projects while working for the State of
OKla 30 years...
Cecil