[Farmall] 1945 Farmall A with Exhaust Lift

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Jul 24 15:30:10 PDT 2010

Ben, you ask an interesting question here:  "Does anyone know what an A with
the exhaust lift is worth to a rare tractor collector who would take care of
it?"

I can't answer it, and I don't know detailed answers to your other questions
either.  I can tell you your A would catch my attention at a tractor show,
since it has the exhaust lift and since it all looks to be in very nice
condition.  I can't recall ever seeing a tractor with the exhaust lift at a
show, and I've been to a fair amount.

The "how much is it worth" question depends entirely on the people who see
the ad.  I recently paid twice as much for a tractor as I could probably
sell it for, because it has a rare but non-functional feature which was
important to me personally and I decided I had to have it.  If I hadn't seen
the ad the tractor would have been worth much less, as least as far as the
seller's bank account goes.

One way to test the waters would be to post a free photo ad on the ytmag.com
website, with the highest asking price you'd feel comfortable listing, and
an invitation to contact you for higher resolution photos and more
information.  If you get some responses and the tractor sells, you'll know
it was worth that much.  If not, you'll have learned some useful information
and could revise your listing, or wait a while and try again, or decide to
keep it.  Putting an ad in Red Power magazine would be a good idea also,
although those cost a little bit.  Either way, you're correct in thinking
that a collector is who you want to attract, somebody who'll think "Now
there's a really nice setup, I wouldn't mind having that."

By the way, I appreciate your well-written posts.  Nice to see a young
person who can communicate in actual sentences, let alone one who's
interested in these classic old machines!

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net