[Farmall] Super A Carb Leak

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Jul 6 06:44:44 PDT 2010

Have you tried tapping the carb when it leaks to see if that stops the
leaking? When I first got my Cub the carb would randomly leak if I left
the valve open, but not when I had it shut. When the valve was open and
the card would leak, I'd tap on the carb and the leaking would stop
(sometimes I just hit it with my fist a couple of times). I figured the
float was sticking or wasn't properly set and was leaking when I wasn't
parked on level ground. So I took the carb apart and did all the checks
for float height, fuel in the float, etc. I even brought a rebuild kit
after tearing into it a couple times. What I figured out was that it was
the float sticking. It would move freely on the pin when I had it all
apart, but figured it had something to do with not being totally level
when parked. So I held the carb at a slight angle and noticed that it
would sometimes stick when I moved the carb back and forth. The float
itself wasn't touching the sides of the bowl. I squeezed the ends of the
float together a little where it rotates on the pin so that it had a
little more play side to side. Hasn't leaked since. So the width of the
float at the pin was apparently the problem, causing the float to stick
against the side of the bowl when not on level ground. Now I can even
leave the valve open and it doesn't leak.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.