[AT] Super A Carb Leak

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:32:30 PDT 2010

On 7/6/2010 9:21 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> Ben check the needle valve and seat again.  Make sure it is adjusted right.
> These old carbs tend to leak like that.  I'm not to good at getting them
> adjusted right myself so I make sure my shutoff valve works right.
>
> Charlie

>> Hello,
>>
>> My Zenith 11115 Carburetor is leaking gas from the hole/drain in the
>> choke passage.  The carb leaked after I rebuilt the engine, and I
>> replaced the float and the needle valve.  That seemed to fix the leak
>> until I ran it.  Once I killed the engine, it began to leak after about
>> an hour.  And yes, the fuel is shut off, though my shutoff valve does
>> not completely seal, allowing a little dribble from the gas tank into
>> the fuel line.
>>
>> So what do I need to do?  Should I replace the the fuel shutoff valve?
>> Even if the shutoff drips into the fuel line, the float/needle should
>> stop the gas from getting into the carb, right?  The only other option I
>> can think of is that my float is not adjusted correctly, and that would
>> change the bowl level, which could perhaps allow an overflow into the
>> choke passage?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your replies.
>> Ben Wagner

Off of a forum...

"about float level. It has been my experience that the recommended float
level setting in the owner's manual for the Zenith equipped Super A's is
off a little. It causes leaking and rich running/flooding of the engine.
The Super A Zeniths work best for me when I adjust the float level so
that the gas in the bowl is just a little lower than the recommended
setting. That means setting the float level measurement a little MORE
than the recommendation - I'd say about 1/16" to 1/8" more."

Would this be correct, then?
Ben Wagner