[AT] Super A Carb Leak

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 6 06:44:46 PDT 2010

Well, yes, your tank fuel tap/trap *should* shut the fuel completely
off, so you need to address that. They do get old and worn over time and
eventually need to be replaced. If the handle turns easily, then you
need to think that maybe you need to do something. It is possible to
tighten up on the gland nuts, but I have never had a lot of luck with that.

But, even with a wide open fuel trap, you should not be seeing a leak
from the float chamber. If the needle and seat are free of debris and in
good shape, the most likely culprits are either 1. a leaky float or 2.
the float is binding on the side of the chamber.

A leaky float is easy enough to check - submerge it into a container of
hot water (it doesn't have to be boiling but it does have to be hot
enough to heat up the air in the float), and you will see bubbles
escaping from any pinholes or cracks. A brass float is easy enough to
solder, but you have to do it carefully - too much heat will only make
things worse. A binding float is harder to diagnose and fix, but make
sure that that the hinge part and the pin are very clean for starters.
If you take the carburetor off and turn it upside down, you should hear
the float move from one position to the next. If you can't hear that, or
if you hear any scraping, then you will have to try to see where the
problem is. (I rig up a hose and try to blow air in when the carburetor
is inverted, but that isn't much of a real test.) I am sure that others
will have other (and perhaps better) suggestions.

Mike