[AT] Saskatchewan tractor trek

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Jun 16 04:13:57 PDT 2005

Hi Ralph,

My uncle, who died many years ago now, used to tell about the first time he
saw or drove a tractor.  It was in the early 1900's.  He was a boy and the
son of a sharecropper.  One of the big land owners in the community bought
a tractor.  It was the first one in the community.   It was delivered to a
rail yard several miles away and they had to drive it home.   The landowner
hired my uncle to drive it.  He took a few minutes learning how to make it
go and took off.
After a few hours he got to the log bridge across the creek.

The bridge was made with 2 or 3 logs strectched across the creek and smaller
logs laid side by side across them.  He said when he started over the bridge
the tractor was jumping up and down as the steel cleats walked over the
logs.   Just as he got just the middle of the bridge it broke in half just
behind him.  The bridge dropped down into the creek and turned into a ramp.
He said he didn't know what to do.  The tractor was now jumping like crazy
as the cleats tried to climb the logs and then would slide back off of them.
It was all he could do to hang on let alone try to control the tractor.

>From his  discription it had big old wheat land type fenders.  He grabed
ahold to the fenders with his hands and held on.  The fenders were flexing
and the cleats were hitting the backs of his hands.   Eventually the tractor
climbed out and he went on his way with no real damage other than some
scratches and bruises on his hands.

Now that is a first tractor ride!  Unfortunately I don't think he ever told
me what brand of tractor it was.  My guess would be a Farmall but I'll never
know.

Charlie