[AT] Saskatchewan tractor trek

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jun 15 20:48:22 PDT 2005

Would driving a Farmall F-20 on original steel wheels 14 miles on mostly
paved roads count?
 I got to do that twice a weekend during the early 80's. It was the
tractor we used in the woods to haul the trailer and tools into the area
we were cutting firewood in. At the time it was the only tractor we
owned so it was what we used. The area that we were cutting in was a
problem due to a logger who decided that land boundaries didn't matter
and who left behind anything that he considered junk logs. He would cut
two trees just to get a clear area to fell another one. Those were left
behind along with tops and limbs. 99% good hardwood. We cut and split
firewood as well as cut logs out of there for 3 years. We did most of
the work on weekends so I got to drive the tractor up there EARLY Sat.
mornings and back late Sun. night. No lights except for a battery
powered blinker and headlight.
That 14 miles was a LONG trip on that beast, considering in high gear it
would go at a fast walking pace and those steel lugs were FAR from
smooth.
I was really happy when we found an H with rubber and a road gear in
it..... To bad we no longer needed to run it to the woods......

Steve W.