[AT] Saskatchewan tractor trek

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 05:12:56 PDT 2005

	Ralph, Charlie and others, back in the late 1920s, a neighbor
of ours in Minnesota ordered a Cat 60 which was shipped by rail to
Austin, MN which is 25 miles away. Our neighbor hired my father to
drive the Cat 60 home from the railhead. My father said it took all
day long to go up there early one morning, find the Cat 60, get it
started and unloaded and then drive it home. He apparently followed
gravel roads all the way home but found the going easier to stay in
the ditches as much as possible. I doubt there were any paved roads
anywhere along the way home as even the main highway, Route 56, was
not paved until some time in the 1940s where we lived. I don't have
any idea what top speed on the Cat 60 was but it could not have been
too fast.

Cecil