[AT] grease in steering gearbox

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 07:21:14 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/9/2005 6:34:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gwill at toast.net writes:
You've summarized the situation pretty well.   Grease can work well for a
long time in a box that can't get water in it  like a Cub's can.  However
it's a mixed bag in Cubs.  I recently  repaired the steering box on the Cub
I'm taking to CubFest and experienced  the bad side of using grease.  The
mess of getting it all out was a  nuisance but water was the big problem.
The grease had all left the  important surfaces to cling to all the extra
space in the box and water had  entered in its' place to destroy the worm
wheel, worm wheel shaft, and the  worm that is part of the steering shaft.
They were a badly rusted mess  beyond all hope of saving... the grease
offered no protection at  all.
-------

Thank  you George that pretty much proves my point doesn't it.

"Out of site out of mind."

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow  Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361