[AT] Re: AT Digest, Vol 16, Issue 8

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 8 05:22:30 PDT 2005

I work for A GC that is not on the banks board, that is friends with a
couple of the contractors that ar on the banks board.  It's more or less
common knowledge that if you use one of the contractors on the banks board
to build your house, that your loan goes thru -much- easier.  I can
personally relate to instances where a telephone call was made from a board
member to the bank instructing them to give a small business loan to a
fellow.. that fellow was doing some work on/at the house of that board
member, etc.
I doubt any of that is illegal.. though am not sure.. but there certaintly
are conflicts of interest.  My main concern would be trying to get a loan
there using a contractor that was not one of the  few 'priveleged' board
members.  I have doubts that the loan process would be as easy or would
succeed.  Around this area, there is alot of 'politics' with and among
contractors.  If you tick off certain contractors they can make it virtually
impossible for you to get work done via another contractor.  I've seen it
happen..  kind of a collective 'blacklist/8-ball-ing effect'.

Thats why i think it is weird.  For the same reason that I don't think my
homeowners insurance appraiser should do home repairs as a side business....

Soundguy