[AT] Checked rows - Corn planting?

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jun 5 15:18:26 PDT 2005

> As a youngster on the farm I have a lot of memories of the issues related to
> planting corn in checked 40" or 42" rows so that the rows could be
> cultivated both ways. But I have no recollection of ever cultivating at a
> diagonal. Was this ever done in any part of the country?  I would think it
> would have required completely different settings on the rear wheels of the
> tractor and cultivator. And not be all that beneficial anyway.

	We cultivated across the rows but it was not the same. You had
to be on your toes all the time looking for hills that were just enough
out of line to make it thru the shields on the cultivators. I never
heard of anyone who cultivated on the diagonal although you could see
the diagonal paths as you went along. It was bad enough doing the cross
cultivating without getting into diagonals.  grins.

Cecil