[Farmall] Cub Touch Control acting funny

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 02:59:35 PDT 2005

After 55 years, your Touch Control unit is probably due for a general
overhaul  - nothing more serious than disassembly, cleaning, replacing
all the "O" rings & gaskets, and re-assembly. While not "rocket science"
it is not a job to begin at 9 AM and expect to be mowing lawns by noon -
the unit has to be removed from the tractor to be disassembled, and that
means removing the hood/tank. The overhaul kit is available from Case
IH, and all the rest is just turning wrenches, following the Blue Ribbon
manual (including the part about cleanliness!). The hardest part is
getting the bolts torqued down on the head, unless you have a huge vice.
(One thing the manual doesn't tell you is that you need some air
pressure to remove a couple of the spools - they won't just fall out
after being in there for 50 years.) On one of my units, there was so
much crud in the filter that it had collapsed, and I had to bend it back
into the correct shape.

Or you can just live with the jerky rise until winter.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene,
novelist and journalist (1904-1991)