[AT] New Case/IH 5088

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 22 14:41:37 PDT 2022

  Spencer, my dad retired from an IH dealer back in 91. During the 80's
IH sent out a counter display to prove their oil would tolerate water in
the oil better than the competition. The display consisted of 4 test
tubes that you filled with a measured amount of hydraulic oil of your
choosing. Then you added a measured amount of water. Shook it all up and
let it sit. The IH performed the best, Deere (supplied from our farm
shop) did second. Third and fourth were Quaker State and some other
brand. I can't tell you if the oil and water mixed or if the additives
in the HyTran created the wax like substance you see when you open up a
machine that has had nothing but Hy-tran and find these wax balls
deposited in the belly of the beast. Anyway, this was the water test
from IH.

The only other concern I know of is deteriorating the brake linings.
I've heard of it happening locally, guy being a tightwad and dumping in
cheap oil only to have it eat up the linings. Actually think I've heard
of this on an IH and a Deere.

When we farmed for real, Green tractors got HyGard, Red tractors got
HyTran, everything got the same Phillips engine oil.

These days, there are practically NO IH dealers in NC (so picking up 5
gallons of oil is a 1/2 day event) and they think their oil is squeezed
from gold. I buy Deere HyGard (for 2/3 the price) and dump it in
everything with no complaints. I like to piss off the Cub Cadet crowd by
doing so. They forget that the hydrostatic units in older Cadets are the
same ones in older Deeres--both made by Sunstrand, just different
mounting brackets/linkages. So far all my yellow lawnmowers like that
green oil just fine.

Anyway, for my little farming operation here at Cedar Lane Farm, its
Hygard for hydraulics, Dello for engine oil, and ethanol free gas.

John Hall