[AT] Need some help, hard starting CR950 Briggs

Stuart Harner stuart at harnerfarm.net
Mon Feb 14 06:59:03 PST 2022

Remember the old fire triangle? Fuel-Air-Heat.

With the ever more restrictive regulations filtering down to the smaller
engines the manufacturers have had to lean out the mix as far as
possible. If you were to put a pyrometer on one my guess is that at
operating temperature they are running on the lean side of peak.

As air temp drops it gets more dense but without a choke to compensate
the mix is just too lean to light off. To make things worse they have
taken all of the adjustments away from the end user to prevent us from
becoming criminals against the regulations. I suspect it also makes the
carbs easier and cheaper to manufacture. If a bad one slips through,
just replace it or the engine because it is cheaper than figuring out
the problem. We see this in a lot more then carburetors.

Changing to a lighter hydraulic fluid will help make it easier to spin
the engine faster when pulling the starter. I am not sure if that will
help make a hotter spark or not considering it probably has electronic
ignition anyway. Faster starting RPM could help with sucking in more
fuel each stroke but then that means more air to, so back to lean.

I suspect that Farmer's engine sputters once in a while is that the raw
fuel builds up enough in the cylinder to cause a rich enough mixture to
fire once or twice. Once that is burned off, back to square one.

I am not sure that adjusting the valves would help any unless there is a
way to lengthen the duration. Taking out all the backlash might cause
the valve to open a fraction sooner, but once everything is warm and
expanded there is a risk of it not closing fully and burning the valve
or seat.

To get a more rich mixture for starting you could try to restrict air
(like the old choke plates did) or add fuel like a primer does.

I have a Knipco stye heater that will not light off at any air temp
unless I use both hands and cover as much of the air intake as possible.
It lights in less than a second and then runs fine. I have tried
different nozzles and moving the igniter around, but it still needs less
air to get going.

On the 1978 motorcycle I once had it was a victim of early tampering
with emissions on motorcycles. When new it would not start on a cool day
and it had a manual choke. I rigged up a way to inject a little ether
into the airbox that was buried under the seat. Had to put 10,000 miles
on that bike before it got over that problem.

The idea of using an unlit torch to add a little fuel sounds like a good
one. Red Green would just slap a little piece of duct tape on the air
intake until it warms up.

Best of luck to Farmer getting this working.

Stuart