[AT] OT- Gift Horse Lawn Mower

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 05:07:18 PDT 2021

Hi Warren:

I am not going to resort to Google on this one.  Instead I am going to tell
you what I think based on my experience with my ~2013 Gravely ZTR-48 with
24HP Kawasaki, bought new.  I think it has around 400 hours on it and
maintained basically by the book.

First of all, there are two kinds of zero-turn mowers.  The cheap
residential ones have a pressed-steel deck and non-servicable, permanently
sealed hydrostatic drives.  The better ones (still not commercial grade)
have decks welded together from thicker steel, and they have hydro units
with spin-on oil filters that you can service.

If yours is the cheaper version, the answer is zero.  You have
probably already put more into it than it is worth.

If it is the better version, I'd say the machine is now worth about $1000.
Add up the cost of parts, pay yourself a decent hourly wage, subtract from
$1000, THEN ask yourself what the friendship is worth.

Steve O.