[AT] OT- Gift Horse Lawn Mower

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 04:35:38 PDT 2021

I have been quite happy with my zero-turn. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago,
I'd have to look. It's a Husqvarna MZ-61. 61 inch cut and a 27HP Briggs
V-twin. It has a tall heavy fabricated deck, not a stamped one. One of my
must haves was for large drive wheels and tires, not those fat little
donuts they insist on putting on so many mowers these days. They would
shake you to death in our use of it. We cut about 10 acres most weeks. I
also cut under the electric fences on all of the horse lots several times a
year. Son Scott mows the open areas with his MF-1155 and a 15' bat-wing
mower a couple of times depending on rain and pasture loads. We also mow
all of our road ditches with zero-turns, some of which are too steep to mow
safely with a tractor type mower. Some areas are wooded and that is where
the zero-turn shines. As much as I love the zero-turn I do have to admit
that there are times I would rather sit and mow in a more relaxed manner
holding the steering wheel in one hand and a cold drink in the other.
:-)   When you are mowing with a zero-turn it's all business... It simply
requires both hands full time to steer. You never relax... You tend to work
as fast as you can drive and cut clean even in close quarters and on rough
ground. After about 3 or 4 hours of that you are ready for a break.
This MZ-61 has been pretty much trouble free especially considering the
kind of heavy use it gets here. I replaced the electric mower clutch
switch, the deck belt and it's on its third set of blades.
 I try to change oil about once a month depending on use. Oil is cheap,
even premium oil... The same with grease.
BTW, I recently read an article where Briggs is now recommending full
synthetic oil for their engines... I don't think I had read that before.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 10:43 PM Jim Becker <mr.jebecker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Scrap iron is about 7 cents a pound.  References on the web come up with
> weights between about 500 and 750 pounds.  500 * .07 is $35.  So I’d say
> the value as you got it was $35 to $50.
>
> Jim Becker

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"