[AT] Steve and tools (Gopher Call)

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:18:45 PDT 2021

I haven't seen Brad's note come thru yet, so Richard's note is the first
I'm seeing this.

Here's the long version of the Gopher Call story:  if you visit our
homepage, you'll see we are broken down into three brands:  Central Tools,
Moody Tools, and King Tools.  We've always been Central Tools.  The latter
two are acquisitions we made, and kept the brand names as they have
recognition with customers.

King Tool came out of Bozeman, MT in 2015.  They were retiring and selling
out and we moved the whole thing back to our location in Cranston, RI.  (I
spent about a month in Bozeman between August-Sept 2015; it's a wonderful
place) The gopher call was one of King Tool's little side-projects.  It
clearly doesn't fit with the tool theme of our company, but it's a decent
seller with a decent profit margin, so we kept it.  About all I can say
about it is that it does make some whistling sort of noise when you blow
thru it.  Whether that whistle actually attracts gophers... sorry, no
personal experience.  They've been around for quite a while and we sell a
bunch every year, so I guess if they didn't work, word would have gotten
around by now.

Unfortunately they happen to be in short supply right now.  We are having a
lot of trouble procuring certain aluminum products, and the tube for the
body of the gopher call was backordered for an ungodly long time.  Material
came in and we ran them less than a week ago.  Now they go back out to an
outfit somewhere in the Northwest for camo anodizing.  Oddly, we can't get
anyone to do a camo pattern anodize anywhere local to us, so we continue to
use the original vendor, requiring shipping in both directions.  Our main
customer is an outfit called Lockhart... here's a link:

https://www.lockhart-industries.com/products/kcs-gopher-call?variant=8632524165

But wait.  I just checked stock and it looks like we have 22 on hand of the
Central brand.

SO