[AT] Off topic but need advice.. refrigerator defrost timer.

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Mon Jun 7 18:44:11 PDT 2021

Brad is right in assuming heat as a possible reason. Most refrigerators and freezes specify about 3 inches of space on the sides and the back for air flow. Dust/dirt on the coils also causes additional problems because of a loss of heat transfer. When we used to test hardware for “end of life” we would simply put it in an autoclave or oven, and raise the temperature to a specified value for a specified period of time to age it. The temperature and time were specified by the weakest part/material. We could put hardware in a forty year “end of life” condition in a matter of a couple of weeks. We would monitor the hardware during the test and determine how long something could be expected to last before any issues showed up. Sometimes we found that an item would last forty years with no problems expected, and sometimes we determined it would require periodic maintenance every so often in order to last forty years. Besides the thermal aging we also did testing of the item at extreme cold conditions, extreme humidities, various vibrations scenarios, and ballistic shock. Doing the ballistic shook was always our favorite test because we got to use high explosive rounds and explosive devices to determine an items probable survivability rate under battle conditions.

Carl