[AT] Questions on a 1975? Allis 7030 and 7050

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 05:52:57 PDT 2021

Heavy-duty diesels are typically designed for high "torque rise" which is a
torque curve peaking at low RPM and dropping significantly from there to
the rated/redline RPM.  This creates an engine that responds to increasing
loads by slowing down a bit which puts you onto a higher-torque portion of
the curve.  Most of this characteristic is obtained with cam profiles,
compression ratios, and bore:stroke ratios.  None of the torque rise
characteristic depends directly on the cylinder configuration.  In fact the
inline-6 is the smoothest possible configuration with perfect primary and
secondary balance.  Larger bores will produce higher torque from a given
combustion pressure, which means larger/heavier pistons, and the inline-6
is kind of a neat way to "cheat" and get a smooth running engine despite
the large heavy pistons.  I guess I'm saying engines built for torque may
end up being inline engines, which is the converse of what Cecil said.

SO