[AT] 800 Ford tractor 3 point

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Thu Dec 23 21:24:41 PST 2021

Dean, on the older Ford N's and Ferguson TO-20's and 30's, if it's just
a loss of prime from a long period of non-use, an old farmer's trick is
to stick the nozzle of an air blow gun into the fill hole of the center
housing (contains the pump, transmission guts, and hydraulic fluid),
stuff a rag loosely around the tip, and with the engine running have
someone repeatedly moving the 3-point lever up and down.  Won't need
much air pressure, any excess will bleed off around the rag to avoid
pressurizing the housing excessively.  Getting the internal pump primed
might take a few minutes. Or sometimes it won't work at all if the
problem is more serious.

With an engine mounted pump on later tractors, like your 800, sometimes
doing this same air trick into the center housing can create enough
pressure to force oil through the supply line to prime the pump.

Change or clean your hydraulic filter also. Chances are this hasn't been
done for awhile anyway.  Crud buildup inhibits oil flow.

Richard