[AT] OT, old implements and plasma cutters

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Mon May 18 21:11:09 PDT 2020

Thank you all for the responses. I remember when I first got this Hardee
cutter years ago and soon burned through the clutch discs with, of all
things, an AC/B. This list talked me through that then, and again helps me
bring this tough implement back. I had to drop $100.00 at Tractor supply
today for a new yoke and the dad-gummed u-joint. Those things are
overpriced. I guess to look at it another way, a bunch of goats sitting in
the weeds the last 15 yrs would have cost more than 100.00 to feed. I
changed the u-joint in less than an hour when it took about 4 to get the
old out even having a bench vise and a bearing press. I realized the
removal compressed the yoke casting a bit so if anyone has a suggestion on
how to expand that so the lock rings fit correctly I'-m all ears.

Anyway, I looked into the yoke shaft, where the 1.25x1" shaft goes in and
will not go further. I see it is just a 6" long piece of rectangular sleeve
and after that it is the much larger round pipe size, so that means the
shaft won't go in the yoke/sleeve because it is bent or twisted. So rather
than cut it I am going to find a way to straighten the shaft (after
cleaning everything thoroughly) or otherwise "persuade" it to go in- there
is plenty of room in the yoke for the excess shaft. All this has reinforced
for me that when a project frustrates you it is sometimes best to set it
aside for 24 hrs or longer and look again in a new light.

As to the plasmacutter, I think Dennis Johnson is spot-on though you are
all correct. I need a new torch. something is wrong in there or the hose
which they most probably also damaged. I ordered the SL-40 torch handle to
replace what my employees broke and it prompted an email response from the
vendor strongly suggesting an upgrade to the SL-60 torh and hose assembly.
I should have listened and ordered it, and that's what I'll probably do.

Thanks again you guys are great and I feel glad to know people would
dedicate the time it took to research these answers.

Warren