[AT] Rear main seals

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 08:24:41 PDT 2020

My first thought was the same as what Bo said.  However, I realized I was thinking about a felt seal, not jute.  Jute is a plant fiber that is twisted into a rope.  Felt is compressed wool that grew on an animal.

Jute rope seals have to be squeezed into shape to fit into the groove then pressed the other direction to pack it in.  After all that, the ends do need to be cut off flush with the casting.  (The Continental maintenance manual spells this out.)  Felt seals, on the other hand, are die-cut to a reasonable degree of precision.  They are made with a predetermined proper amount of material.  After installation, they should be just a bit above the casting.  That projection should be left so there will be a bit of compression when it is assembled.

Either material should be soaked with oil.  By the way, I think 10 to 20 years life is about all one should expect from either style.

Jim Becker