[AT] JD Distributor vs. Magneto

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Mon Mar 16 10:47:25 PDT 2020

Our Show is over so I can now get back to this. All JD Two Cylinder tractors with batteries left the factory with a positive ground system. Whether the tractor is still configured that way is a crap shoot. I haven’t looked at Pertronix systems for years so I am completely out of date. Early on they did not produce Positive ground systems for the JD tractors. In those days in order to use their Electronic ignition systems the tractor had to be converted to a negative ground system.  If they are producing positive ground systems now that is good news. But …. Using their web site to find an applicable system for a JD Model A is an extreme exercise in futility.  I would suggest contacting the owner of https://brillman.com/ to get an  up to date picture of what might be available from Pertronix for your particular Electronic Ignition requirement.

However, a properly repaired Magneto or Distributor will work just fine on your JD A.  For Magneto parts and real kneadable information I like working with http://www.magnetoparts.com/index.html  Bill is an Electrical Engineer that does his Magneto stuff as a side business. Evenings and weekends.

Dean VP

Apache Junction, AZ