[AT] New old truck

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Mar 11 19:50:30 PDT 2020

I went to an auction yesterday.  I should have bought the 6600 JD
combine that sold for $2000, but I didn't want to sleep with the cats in
the barn..   Also picked up a 32ft Field cultivator/spring tooth.  If I
take off the wigs I have a 12ft one and a lot of spare parts!!

I went after the 66 Chevrolet C60 w/ 20 ft bed & hoist air tag axle,
Shurco tarp and Westfield drill fill auger.  For $2000 I figured the bed
& hoist was worth that.  My drill fill auger needs a new auger and it is
over $500.

The truck looks like it has a 366 engine.  OEM would have been a 348 or
409 I think..  This has the valve covers of the 366 & 427 but only a 2
bbl carb so I would guess 366.  It has a very worn 5 speed transmission
and a 2 speed axle that shifts ok.  The cab is not in bad shape for a
66.  If I can swap the power steering gear from a 67 or 68 model I have
here, then I can change to the smaller steering wheel and maybe fit
behind the wheel. Either that or lose 100 lbs.  I was looking at
shortening the steering column as it can move forward under the dash If
I shorten the steering tube and re-cut the splines on the steering
shaft. I have a 18ft tilt bed hoist I would like to put on this one.  I
have a 427 & 5speed in another truck that would give it a little more
power.  The 366 did not seem to really have a lot of zip to it, but this
truck has only been used about 50 miles a year for the last 10 years.
If all else fails I can hop up a 350 with 10:1 compression and propane......

It is a lot of work, but I have this soft spot for the 60-66 Chevrolet
trucks.  I rebuilt a lot of engines in those years for hopped up farm
trucks.  I had a 52GMC 2 ton with a 16ft bed & hoist that would haul 300
bushel at 70mph.  Back then we did not have the traffic on the highways
we do now...

Just rambling......

Cecil