[AT] test those old MM tractors had jumpy "leaping levers".

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:32:48 PDT 2020

Mike,
    I would have to say it's likely our tractors were worn out... as a kid
growing up I ran 2 G705's, a Massey 97 FWA (G706 made by Motec Industries
for Massey after Massey apparently had a factory fire. still has the tan
paint under the silver Massey paint) and an uncle's G1000 Vista and rode a
different uncles' G704 (not sure the differences anymore).

The G1000 was a lot nicer, newer and more controllable version with very
little of the jump shown on the other units (and maintained by my uncle who
had a little better budget to start with...) but the G705's I had
experience with were all jumpy, no matter how much you feathered it (my
comparison was to the Case D series with the oil bath clutch and a hand
start JD A you didn't want to stall).

Our big tractors were used in heavy tillage and we killed the rear ends of
most tractors; (split the carrier bearing supports out of the case of the
first G705, stripped the teeth off the bull gear of the second one, broke
the chains in the D, the 97 is still parked at Dad's after he got 2 broken
4420 JD's and built one) so this may be an indication of how hard our
ground was and/or how hard we worked them.
Standing order was to NOT pull in first gear on the 705's because it would
cause rear end failure (that's what was happening when the second one
stripped the bull gear...).
A 12 foot toolbar was generally all we could pull, running about 4-5" deep
with wore out shovels. Tried plowing one year... took forever with a 4
bottom plow. Eastern Montana's Bowdoin Clay is HARD and ROUGH. The ground
shook the cabs until the frame welds broke and we removed them.
Dad bought junk and made us (my brother and I) run them and fix them when
they broke. We got to be about half decent at keeping rather tired iron
running and in the field.

The only tractor we DIDN'T wreck the rear end or cab was a Massey 98
(Rebranded Oliver 88 or 99, I believe) with a Detroit 3-71. We traded it
for the second G705 when it was taking several gallons of oil per day in
the engine.
Not as much torque as those big 504's and nowhere near the beautiful sound
of the big six but it would start a whole lot easier in cold weather.

Ken in AZ