[AT] Cub - Update

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Thu Jul 9 12:06:35 PDT 2020

Where Deere & Co. lost me has nothing to do with antique tractors at
all, but rather with their service and maintenance policy for today's
highly software-driven ag machinery. They have effectively put a 'No
User-Serviceable Parts Inside. Warranty void if seal is broken' sign on
their tractors, and with the destruction of the network of small local
(some would say mom-and-pop) dealers, a simple failure can be a
multi-day adventure in high-tech repairs. I'm not sure if it is true for
the whole country, but this policy has been upheld by courts in California.

One of my sources works for one of those now-former JD dealers. Deere
offered to buy back their inventory, with a one-time deal, and told them
that they didn't *have* to sell everything back (tractors, implements,
and parts) but that they would get no factory support for anything they
sold after the cutoff date. The 'word on the street' is that Deere & Co.
wants to have regional dealers with at least 6 outlets, and that more
than that is even better. At the same time they got bought out, the big
regional dealer in Missouri (Sydenstricker) merged with Nobbe...the
combined dealership has locations in 26 towns in Missouri and Illinois.
It's virtually impossible to avoid them in central to north/eastern MO
and southwestern IL. [That said, I've never tried to deal with them
myself...]

Mark J
Columbia, MO