[AT] Cub - Update

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Thu Jul 9 11:44:21 PDT 2020

Part of the problems were related to the x60 series of tractors in the late 50’ which allowed JD to capture the lead in # of tractors produced but that was just one of many mistakes that I/H made and they were in such a weakened position by the time the 80’s farm crisis arrived they could not ride it out…., alone. It is a whole series of mistakes.    There is a book written by a woman that exposes these mistakes by the name of Barbara Marsh titled: A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company.  Worth reading.

I think it would be unwise to think that JD only overtook I/H in total Farm Equipment Sales because I/H made some mistakes.  JD made a few mistakes along the way as well. But they made some really good decisions too. The JD New Generation tractors announced in the fall of 1960 were one of many good decisions JD made to become the power house they are today. I have no experience on comparing how good a JD Tractor vs a Case I/H tractor is today so I make no judgments on that.

Dean VP

Snohomish, WA 98290