[AT] OT- Computer help please

cgs oxygenfarm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 07:09:46 PST 2020

If you want to retain the Windoz 'rescue' partition, most Linux install
programs include a '/something else/' option (not using the /entire/
disk) whereby you can create/designate a separate partition on which to
install Linux (it uses a program called /Gparted/ to do this).
Most computers, even after setting the BIOS to enable booting from a
disk or thumb, need to be jolted by pushing /esc/ or /del/ or /f12/ etc
when the initial screen shows up, then it will show your boot choices.

On 2/17/20 10:01 AM, bloomis at charter.net wrote:

> Good point Spencer. I had a difficult time getting my Asus laptop to
> boot off the thumb even after setting USB as the primary boot. Google
> led me to the need to also enter ESC to bring up a boot menu choice.
> Jeez. I’m going to run Linux on that machine but for some odd reason I
> want to keep the factory rescue partition. Heck I think it’s Vista. I
> don’t think I can ever restore it to even W7 without the original
> Vista so… I’ll probably image that partition.
> I’ve looked thru the manual and the forums on how to avoid erasing the
> rescue partition, but as Charlie said the verbiage of Linux is,
> different.
> Also someone mentioned defragging. SSDs don’t need it. I’m hoping to
> put Linux on my desktop, same situation, 12 yo Dell Vista, now W7, on
> an SSD, but this one I don’t really care about the partition. It’s I’m
> just not ready to pull the trigger fully just yet. A lot of years
> invested in Outlook as far as email, calendar, tasks, etc. hence the
> learning on the laptop.
>
> Brad

Charlie