[AT] OT- Computer help please

bloomis at charter.net bloomis at charter.net
Mon Feb 17 07:01:47 PST 2020

Good point Spencer. I had a difficult time getting my Asus laptop to boot off the thumb even after setting USB as the primary boot. Google led me to the need to also enter ESC to bring up a boot menu choice. Jeez. I’m going to run Linux on that machine but for some odd reason I want to keep the factory rescue partition. Heck I think it’s Vista. I don’t think I can ever restore it to even W7 without the original Vista so… I’ll probably image that partition.
I’ve looked thru the manual and the forums on how to avoid erasing the rescue partition, but as Charlie said the verbiage of Linux is, different.
Also someone mentioned defragging. SSDs don’t need it. I’m hoping to put Linux on my desktop, same situation, 12 yo Dell Vista, now W7, on an SSD, but this one I don’t really care about the partition. It’s I’m just not ready to pull the trigger fully just yet. A lot of years invested in Outlook as far as email, calendar, tasks, etc. hence the learning on the laptop.

Brad