[AT] Teflon tape hydraulic system??

Carl Gogol cgogol1971 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:44:23 PST 2020

Over 20 years ago I had read a Machine Design article concerning the evils of NPT for hydraulic systems, especially as working pressures go over 3000 PSI.  Main focus was that NPT threads were just not failsafe leakproof and other, newer, connection systems were superior.  ORFS, and others were mentioned.  The evils of Teflon also was mentioned.  I was in the process of lashing-up an AC D-14 for a loader and had planned on using NPT because the hoses were less expensive.  Article talked about the use of Locktite as a preferred substitute for Teflon.  Locktite 545 (anerobic) is the recommended variety and have used it ever since and find it to be totally reliable and long lasting.  It a bit pricy to buy bottle but if you carefully close the container after each use it has sealed well over a hundred and still works as well 20 years later.

Carl in Manlius, NY