[AT] Teflon tape hydraulic system??

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Mon Dec 14 06:15:55 PST 2020

First, are you talking about pipe threads, or other types of fittings. If it is pipe thread, I agree with Cecil, tape is needed. Many of the problems of tape breaking off is due to poor installation. Not sure I would leave 2 threads w/o tape, but agree that 1 thread without tape is much better than a little tape hanging over the thread.
Much of the problem with bits of tape in the hydraulic system is with fancy control valves. If you have an antique tractor or dump truck with a gear pump, there is not an issue with tape. If you have a system with fancy control valve and variable flow pumps, you should not be using pipe thread connections, with the possible exception of a pressure gauge. Other types of connections do not need tape if the fittings are good.
Be very careful when using tape on ALUMINUM parts. I recently cracked 2 housings trying to tighten up a pipe thread with tape on it. It was not that much torque on the fitting.

Thanks
Dennis

Sent from my iPad