[AT] Teflon tape hydraulic system??

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:38:05 PST 2020

In some of my work I use NPT fittings and swagelok. Swagelok is a
compression fitting that is designed to be metal to metal on the connection
and does a great job as long as there is nothing but the fitting in there
(teflon bad, bare metal seal good...). On the other end of that fitting may
be NPT and we use it for vacuum systems in semiconductor type applications.
The NPT fittings get 4-6 wraps of teflon tape (Dad worked as a boiler plant
operator and found this to work for steam applications) with some uncovered
thread at the end of the fitting. We assemble and leak check with a helium
leak detector for proper sealing (key ingredient... test method).

Leaks are common if the threads are cut manually. The threading taps leave
a step where they stop cutting and I see this cause leaks. On most of the
equipment we use parts that are thread-cut with a mill (a continuous cut)
and there is no step. These only leak if they aren't tight and don't have a
couple wraps of teflon. The hand-tapped parts leak much more frequently but
the 6-wrap treatment usually puts that to rest (except on small threads
like 1/8" NPT where 6 wraps may prevent thread engagement and we use 4).

Our chambers are welded 6061 aluminum and fittings can be brass or
stainless steel. We avoid China-built fittings if possible but overall the
issue has been with the care taken on the threads and garbage fittings come
from all over the place. With the brass fittings, one has to be careful not
to overtorque as the teflon will lubricate during assembly and it's easy to
break the fittings if it's low-pressure brass.
For hydraulic fittings I tend to look pretty closely at the manufacturer's
recommendations if it's not NPT, then go with the teflon tape treatment if
it is. I need to look into the Blue Monster version to see what that is
(thanks Cecil). I've seen teflon get loose from careless installation and
it can be a real menace (don't get it in an automatic transmission valve
body for example).

Tired iron can be forgiving, but some applications definitely aren't. Think
of the consequences and choose wisely.

Hope this helps

Ken in AZ