[AT] [External] Re: Valve Seat Inserts

Howard Pletcher hrpletch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 19:33:50 PST 2020

IH truck gas engines also had quite hard heads without inserts, hard enough
that reportedly some shops thought there were already inserts in them when
they tried to work on them.  Few problems seem to have developed in the
years since lead was dropped.  I believe it is the material used in the
castings, not heat treating.  But these engines were designed for extended
use at wide open throttle in trucks like the Loadstar so they are not
stressed in smaller trucks like pickups and Scouts.

Different Divisions of IH, different foundries, different engineers.  But
perhaps they did talk to each other.

Howard