[AT] [External] Re: Valve Seat Inserts

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:43:30 PST 2020

The only reference I found that directly addresses this is the I&T Shop Manual.  I presume it is accurate although it is not first-hand IH material.  According to it, the M, 6, and 9 series non-Diesels used inserts for the exhaust valve seats.  The H did not but the Super H and Super 4 series did.  The Diesel M, 6, and 9 series did not use inserts.

The higher compression of a Diesel translates into a higher temperature in the chamber prior to ignition.  I don’t know if that translates to higher temperature after ignition and completion of the power stroke.  I suspect not.  Diesel fuel itself isn’t that great of a lubricant but is a better one than gasoline.  That may make enough difference for IH to have decided to not use hardened inserts in Diesels.  Nothing in the above eliminates the possibility of hardening the seats that were ground into the Diesel heads.  IH was big on induction hardening and applied it to a lot of things.  I am not aware of them heat treating cast iron parts.

Jim Becker