[AT] 1935 JD B Testing progress.

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 2 07:08:58 PST 2020

I would agree with all the discussion points stated. The virus has probably shut down some shops, resulting in more work for those that remained open. Then if the ones that remained open experienced a shortage of labor due to the virus, a backlog was created. There are also markets, such as the mentioned bicycle market, where there has been an explosion of sales, and bikes are becoming hard to get. The bike shortage was covered on national news a couple of times.

My wife wanted to redo her garden during the pandemic, so she went to the local Menards to get her favorite cedar wood chips. None to be found in any of their local stores. Went to their website and couldn’t find any, except one or two bags here and there, all out of state. Would have had to pay for shipping on twenty bags coming from all over the Midwest. I called the manufacturer who said they couldn’t get the cedar logs to make the chips due to the virus. The logs come from a forest about 300 miles away from them.

She then decide it was a good time to redo our deck, a little over 1200 sq ft. Went to Lowe’s and placed the order for Trex decking and railings. This was in April. Got initial delivery in late August, enough to start the job and get most of it done. Got the last of the material last week and put the final screw in last Saturday. Trex now has a notice on their website that they are experiencing long delay times. They shut down due to the virus for a while and have huge backorders. Started calling the local Trex distributor rep that supplies all the stores in Southeastern Michigan and he told me that Trex was only allowing them to fill 14 orders a month in order to produce enough product to allow them to fill the backorders and any new orders.

While I was at Lowe’s trying to find out when I would be getting any partial Trex shipments, another customer came in looking for pressure treated wood that he had ordered. He was told it wasn’t readily available, and that if he could get it somewhere else, he better go there and get it.

So in summary, the virus has shut down some people and caused labor/material shortages for others. It will probably be late next spring before things get close to being back to normal. And that may only be if the vaccines work and everybody gets vaccinated.

Carl