[AT] 1935 JD B Testing progress.

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:20:33 PST 2020

Definitely plausible, Mark.   Three off-topic stories in support of your
theory:

(1) I do a lot of bicycle riding, and I'm friendly with several shop owners
and employees in my region.  They tell me the bicycle industry went bananas
when the lockdowns hit last spring.  People spending more time at home,
decided to "get in shape" and either purchased a bike or pulled that old
one out of the basement and brought it in for overhaul.  Suddenly bicycles
below a certain price-point as well as parts, tires, tubes etc etc became
vaporware.

(2)  Then there's my wife's roof-rack.  She has a Subaru Forester and
wanted to carry her kayak on top.  The car came with rails but no
cross-bars.  She tried to get them from the dealer and was told nope, there
are none anywhere in the country.  We looked online and thought we found
some, placed the order, only to see it canceled a couple days later.
Apparently the same story as the bikes; kayak people deciding to get out
and enjoy the outdoors.

(3) Next up, the deck on my rental.  We've been renovating for a couple
years and found some tenants this past August who wanted to occupy Oct 1.
The deck itself is sound, but the railings were a little sketchy and not up
to modern code.  I went to the lumberyard to buy pressure-treat 2x4, 2x6,
and precut balusters (for 72' of railings).  I left almost empty-handed.
PT in very short supply nationwide, I was told because of the lockdowns,
everybody decided it was time to tackle that deck project and spend more
time in their backyard.

SO