[AT] Engine oil

magreer67 magreer67 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 16:56:14 PDT 2020

My son runs the same 15W40 Rotella T in his 7.3 PowerStroke. He says it runs quieter and leaks less than the synthetic that was in it when he got it.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Spencer Yost <spencer at rdfarms.com> Date: 8/16/20  12:54 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Engine oil Hey Tyler, I use Rotella 15w-40 in all my diesels too.    Never had a problem related to oil that I’ve been able to discern.   I think your friend emphasized it because it’s proven and widely used.   No idea if the chemistry is actually better but I try not to mess with success,John:   The timing of your problems and your switch to a different oil does seem more than coincidental.   I’d definitely experiment with a different brand if I were you.  The compression test is probably a good idea too.SpencerSent from my iPhoneOn Aug 15, 2020, at 1:13 PM, Tyler Juranek <tylerpolkaman at gmail.com> wrote:Hi JohnThis May I needed to change oil in my Oliver 770. Yes, it is diesel,so maybe my answer here is not rellivent to your question.Anyway, it was the first oil change since I have owned it. I wonderedwhat I should put in it. The book said 20w20 but the local Bomgaarsdidn't have any, so I called our family friend who is a mechanic atnight, and always seems to know a little bit about a lot of things. Hesuggested I use 15W40 in it, but he said "do not buy anything butRotella brand oil." I forget why he said Rotella, but maybe try thatbrand and see if it makes any difference?They do have 10W30. The only two gas burners left are my John Deere A,and Dad's 550 Oliver. Everything else here is diesel.Let us all know how it goes.Take Care,Tyler JuranekOn 8/15/20, John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:What this group needs (in my opinion) is a good farm equipment discussion.Engine Oil--but wait, this isn't your ordinary oil discussion!!! Longstory short, I have a fleet of old gas powered working FARMequipment--not talking about lawn equipment. We have always ran big namebrand oil. I switched from Exxon Super HDII about 3-4 years ago becauseit was getting really hard to source. I switched over to Chevron Dello400 (both are 30W). The Dello is formulated for diesels, but supposedlyworks in older gas engines. I now have 2 engines that drink oil whenbeing worked hard. My Farmall M can drop 2-3 qts in a couple hours ofpulling a cultimulcher--yet you don't really notice it smoking. It doesfoul plugs. That work is a very heavy load. Also I have a 3300 Deerecombine that will drop a qt or so every truckload of corn. Now I've onlyhad this combine about 8 years and the oil consumption just startedabout 3 years ago--I swear some days it is worse than others. I reallywonder if its the oil I'm using. I have on hand some CaseIH low-ash oilI run in lawnmowers--considering putting it in the combine for thisfall. Supposedly the same stuff IH has been selling for 40+ years. Thecost is about $3-4 more a quart, so an extra $25 to change oil. For therecord, the rest of the gas powered fleet doesn't run hard/long enoughto notice a problem. The combine is such a gas hog, can't help butwonder if its a fuel issue causing dilution.What you guys think, worth a shot?John Hall_______________________________________________AT mailing listAT at lists.antique-tractor.comhttp://lists.antique-tractor.com/listinfo.cgi/at-antique-tractor.com_______________________________________________AT mailing listAT at lists.antique-tractor.comhttp://lists.antique-tractor.com/listinfo.cgi/at-antique-tractor.com