[AT] Engine oil

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:13:05 PDT 2020

In all of my modern vehicles, I run exactly what the owner's manual calls
for.  There are certain cases (like for example back when I had the VW TDI)
that using the wrong oil  could be literally disastrous.  One of our
current fleet is turbocharged, and there's another place where the vehicle
manufacturer has done extensive testing and knows best.

My "modern" (early 1990s) diesel tractor gets Rotella 15W-40.  I'm not
against using any other major brand diesel-rated oil in 15W-40, but it's so
easy to find Rotella that I can play the brand-loyalty game even though I
don't really believe it.

All the gas-powered equipment gets a suitable viscosity oil in SJ grade.
That standard goes back to before they reduced the ZDDP content, pre-2004.
Typically I can find this at the parts store in brands that claim to be
"Motorcycle" oils.  Usually 10W-40 and 20W-50 exist.  For stuff that needs
to run in the dead of winter (It sometimes gets down to 0F where I live)
like for example the snowblower and the generator, get 10W-40.  Mowers get
20W-50.  Those high-output aircooled  engines (Kawasaki 17HP  and 24HP
V-twins) run quite hot and I'll get the protection of the 50 end of the
spectrum.

I haven't even thought about what I'm going to run in the "new" old Cub yet.

SO