[AT] 2. Re: '51 JD A PROGRESS!!!! (Mark Johnson)

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Thu Apr 16 16:00:31 PDT 2020

Steve,

This could be a long shot, but depending on how bad the surface is, you might be able to “turn” the drum yourself.

What you may want to try is to reassemble the entire unit, only use double sided tape to attach sandpaper to the brake shoes. Adjust the shoes so that they put some pressure on the drum and spin the drum. Start with something like 120 grit and work up to 400 grit or better, depending on how smooth you think the drum surface needs to be. Adjust shoe pressure as you go. You may be surprised at how fast you can get the drum surface smoothed out, especially if you can get the drum spinning fast enough.

Carl