[AT] 2. Re: '51 JD A PROGRESS!!!! (Mark Johnson)

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Fri Apr 17 19:16:08 PDT 2020

Steve,

Congratulations on getting it all apart. That feels good doesn't it. Yes,
you can get the brake drum turned and yes there is enough meat left to do so
unless..... it has been turned before or something very unusual has happened
to gouge the drum surface deeper than anything I have ever seen.  Could you
describe that drum surface in a little more detail and maybe even provide
some pictures.

PS:  I''ve taken apart probably 20  or more brake assemblies and some of the
drum have looked really ugly but all I have ever done is use a right angle
grinder with a wire brush wheel and cleaned them up to the point they are
useable.  Sure they would be better if they were turned but..... we aren't
dealing with a brake  that is going 80 miles an hour.  And sometimes it is
noticeable when applying the brakes that the inside of the drum isn't
perfect but... they do the job intended.  And.... if they are used enough
they get better with every application.    Maybe I'm penny wise and pound
foolish I've just never seen one so bad they need to be turned.  Yes, if I
have the money and time to fix every thing perfectly ...do it ....but if you
want a perfectly good working tractor brake clean the drum up to the best of
your ability and then let the brake lining finish the job.  Brakes just
aren't used that much on these old tractors.   Just my humble opinion.

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ