[AT] Cummins scan tool was OT Buck-Boost convertor for charging auxiliary battery

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 18:37:21 PDT 2019

Remember when every truck (and  many cars) came with a choke like knob
(marked throttle or "T") and it operated the accelerator linkage directly?
:-)
Years ago (I say that a lot now) I watched wrecker operators use the
throttle for running the winch. I also saw some use the "stick" method. I
owned a wrecker for a few years that didn't have a throttle cable (about a
1970 beefed up 3/4 ton Jeep with a Buick built V-8) but it had a very
simple fast idle solenoid that operated from a single wire from a toggle
switch on the dash. It had a small knob on it that you could adjust to
tweak the speed.
I like simple stuff.  :-)
.
Besides towing cars and transporting cars on a trailer behind it the
wrecker was a terrific farm tool. A guy that had managed a local elevator
for about 40 years told me that he had seen all manner of rigs bringing in
grain but I was the only wrecker towing wagons he had seen. That elevator
had a steep loose gravel ramp about 25" long going in and even some smaller
tractors had trouble with it but that wrecker in 4 wheel drive would roll
right up it. It was also amazing when loading old machinery. I had a little
over 200' of cable and if I could get the trailer generally pointed in the
right direction I could winch about anything up out of a small ravine
(where such things were often shoved).

.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:57 AM Phil Auten <pga2 at basicisp.net> wrote:

> Aaahh! Good old farmer field expiedency fixes. I love 'em!
>
> Phil in TX
>

> On 9/29/2019 9:30 AM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> > I have a 98 Chevy C8500 w/ 3126B Cat and Allison HT750.  It has a
> > speed control when using the PTO that has been disconnected.  It was a
> > former Mechanic service truck.  In order to get the high idle switch
> > connected I have to take the truck to a Cat dealer and they hook up
> > the computer to the truck and reprogram the computer to work with the
> > high idle switch.  This is a minimum of $500.. When the computer is
> > connected to the truck and then connects to Cat there is a $250 charge
> > to connect to the Cat service site that $250 goes to Cat.  The other
> > charges are to the stealership.   As much as I love Cat equipment,
> > this is a ridiculous charge.  I use a piece of 1x2 cut to the right
> > length and wedge it form the accelerator to the seat.
> >
> > Cecil
> >
> > On 9/29/2019 9:09 AM, James Peck wrote:
> >> That vocational truck was a Navistar with a Cummins engine. We had
> >> been told that we could use the cruise control setting to regulate
> >> PTO speed when stationary. The engine load was going to a shiftable
> >> transfer box that had pumps bolted to it. The Navistar dealer brought
> >> over a Cummins rep with a laptop type diagnostic tool.  We ended up
> >> adding a potentiometer that provided a voltage speed command to the
> >> engine in place of the fly by wire type accelerator pedal when the
> >> truck was stationary.
> >>
> >> [James Peck] I worked on a 12 volt battery vocational truck that used
> >> voltage converters to get 24 vdc to run a plc and electrohydraulic
> >> valves.
> >>
> >> I personally would try to determine if the problem is just a poorly
> >> performing voltage converter. I would avoid modification if the
> >> problem can be rectified by replacing a poorly performing component.
> >>
> >> ]Cecil Bearden] To update the VC problem, after measuring the
> >> voltages and looking at diagrams again I am beginning to understand
> >> the system, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it.   In a
> >> nutshell, the alternator charges the main battery, at the same time
> >> the VC charges both batteries in series at 24V.  Definitely something
> >> lost in translation in their engineering. All I can think is What the
> >> I have found a 24V alternator of the same size and connections.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com