[AT] Statistics In Tractor Manufacturing Was Bicycle Program

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 04:23:07 PDT 2019

I used to use Weibull statistics rather often, but that was 25 years ago
and I'm pretty rusty now.  That company manufactured (among other things)
various automotive sensors and aircraft circuit breakers.  We did a lot of
"Life Testing" to the point that we had a whole department with the same
name.  My recollection of Weibull statistics was that we'd record failures
(either time to failure or cycles to failure) and plot on a special chart
paper that had logarithmic axes.  Near the end, somebody figured out how to
do it with a spreadsheet but it was Lotus 1-2-3, not Excel (yet).  The
Weibull method had some significant benefits; for one, you only needed a
handful of data point to get meaningful results; for another, the way the
failure points arranged themselves on that chart paper would tell you
whether you were dealing with a single failure mode or mixed modes.

SO