[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 20:58:40 PDT 2019

Conversely, there is tremendous unwarranted disdain for two year technical programs. My recommendation for a young person who wants a 4 year degree is:

Complete a two year technical program that gets you a job, living at home with your folks if you can.

  *   If you have a choice, pick a program that has an articulation agreement with a four year school. With an articulation agreement the whole two year degree transfers so you start the 3rd year of a 2+2 program at the 4 year school if and when you are ready.
  *   I have known folks to transfer to a 4 year program without completing a two year program or by selecting a 4 year program without an articulation agreement. This is a good way to lose credits and get stuck in a situation you never complete.
  *   Even the community colleges will wave student loan money in front of your face. Be wary.

Work in the field in which you completed the two year program. This might be CAD Design, Welding, Robotics, Machine Tool Operation, Ag Equipment Repair, Agriculture, Cardiovascular Technology; etc.

  *   If future events compel you to move backwards in your career you need this experience to solidify your ability to perform at this level.
  *   Working and taking courses can help minimize debt.
  *   You may find that you are happy and can start a family and live your life.

If you still want to work towards a four year degree, pick it with care.

  *   With any luck a new 4 year degree complements your existing career and your work experience is applicable.
  *   A good option is to keep your existing employer and get a responsibility bump when you get the 4 year degree.
  *   Some community colleges offer 4 year degree programs on their campuses. I do not have experience with that.
  *   https://www.csuohio.edu/campuses/lorain/

Years ago, I new a man of my parents age who had been a practicing attorney. I had a coworker who had gone to high school with him.  He lost his license due to mental health treatment. His undergraduate degree was one with no corresponding occupation. His high school diploma got him job as a security guard. He worked at that until he was unable to work any longer.

[Al Jones] Dean, I agree.  "some degree, any degree" is not a good plan.  Two, year, technical programs have some of the highest earning potential of any career paths a young person can go after.  The disdain thing I mentioned was more of a political issue I see, for example a lot of people on social medial seem to view four year schools as "indoctrination centers," but again I don't want to go down that path....

And yes, I see a lot of parents that just cut their kids loose at age 18.  I can't imagine starting out with some of the debt these kids come out of college with.

  Unfortunately, there are people that still have the Cold War mentality that a 4 year degree is the only path to success!