[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 2 07:03:49 PDT 2019

I took a hydraulics course one summer semester at the school where I studied Vehicle Design. Most of the other students in the class were Detroit 3 Machine Repair apprentices.  We had the use of circuit simulation software which I had never used. We also assembled the hydraulic circuits on trainer stands. Ford used to have a separate Hydraulic Repairman classification which may have gone away.

In some places, community college apprenticeship courses are restricted to people in the apprenticeshisp. Score one for Michigan.

Years later I passed a hydraulic skills test given on  a similar stand. The pilot operated check valves had the ports deliberately mis--labelled as part of the test.

In the DC engine plant, electricians shared responsibility for hydraulic solenoid valves with machine repairmen. They shared pneumatic solenoid valves with pipefitters. Same for pressure sensors.

Most Detroit 3 apprenticeshi graduates are able to obtain Associate Degrees by taking the nontechnical requirements. Otherwise the Community College issues them certificates.

[Cecil] <snip> Personally I think the apprenticeship programs are the way to go <snip>