[AT] Allis Model C handle a Rotobailer

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 17:42:47 PDT 2019

The CA's had a hand clutch in the right rear axle for live PTO. I have no
idea if that unit will fit a C. I don't know how much they were alike. They
look a lot alike but may be quite different.
As was mentioned AC (and others) made a lot of equipment to run with a
power unit instead of PTO. We had an Allis forage blower and it had a place
made in the frame for an engine. I guess most makers had an engine option
for their combines and I had an IH baler with a Cub engine power unit.

My father used the "kick it out of gear" process when chopping hay with the
Allis forage using the McCormick 10-20. The placement was just right to put
his foot against the shift lever if there was a big slug of hay in the
windrow the was pulling the tractor down. Kicked out of gear it would clear
itself then he put it back in gear. That 10-20 worked on the chopper not
because it had good power but because it would go slower. The JD crawlers
were used a bit because of low speeds and the PTO was live by pulling both
clutch/brake levers back. The Jubilee Ford was bought with the hydraulic
hand clutch for live PTO and it had enough power to pull the chopper at
normal speeds. The later IHC 300U just played with the chopper. A new JD 60
that we tried out would almost pull that chopper in road gear.  :-) He
might have bought it but he didn't like the hand clutch especially on a
primary tractor. I think it reminded him of a bad experience he had with a
very worn out JD D right after WW-II.   :-)
I had 3 Rotobalers adopted but then sold them to a old tractor friend. He
and his family got the best one running and baled with it some but didn't
really like it and sold them shortly before he was killed at a tractor
show. He was about 80 and still skydiving and made a jump at the airport
the day before he was killed. They were loading an old tractor and things
went wrong... He jumped from the trailer and landed wrong breaking his neck
as I recall.

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"