[AT] More tractor career preparation

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 05:51:34 PST 2019

There was a major US aerospace layoff in 1970 that resulted in thousands of unemployed engineers. The hiring slowdown affected graduates in most engineering disciplines. One company I later worked for, now part of Rockwell Automation, had countercyclically hired a group of electrical engineers into their service department where they were still giving a strong performance when I worked there.

I like that term Hydro Diagnostics

[Cecil Bearden] Looks like the program offered in Mechanical power technology in 1970 at OKla State University.  Problem was no one was hiring those graduates at the time.  Reason I ended up in Ag Engineering.  Then to muddy up the definition of Ag Engineers they changed the degree and the society to Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering.  5 years after graduation Ag Engineers were called Civil or Mechanical...

[James Peck] Looks like quite a program. Oh, to be young again.

https://www.cobleskill.edu/academics/schools/agriculture-and-natural-resources/agricultural-engineering/agricultural-equipment-technology-bt.aspx

<snipped from the link> Degree Option

Bachelor of Technology (BT)

  *   120 Credit Hours (4 Years)
  *   Includes for-credit internship for students to gain professional experience
  *   Program develops students with strong technical skills, understanding of industry-standard software and technology, and professionalism in communication and management
  *   Read more details in the College Catalog >>https://www.cobleskill.edu/academics/registrar/College%20Catalog%202019-2020%20for%20Web.pdf#page=21

Course Offerings

Coursework emphasizes understanding, analysis and diagnosis of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems found on modern equipment along with, business and management skills, communications and foundational sciences. Classes provide students with a solid foundation in both practical and theoretical subjects, which prepares them for a wide range of technical and managerial careers.  Sample courses include:

  *   Fundamentals of Diesel Engines
  *   Basic Welding
  *   Agricultural Mechanics
  *   Basic Hydraulics