[AT] Aftermarket tractor electronic ignitions

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 9 11:53:18 PST 2019

Back in the mid 70s, I had a 65 Rambler with an aftermarket electronic ignition. The aftermarket unit started having heat problems and I put an original point type distributor and coil back in. Engine and body were good, it was the BorgWarner automatic that led to the demise of that vehicle. The engine was a close relative of the one in my 2001 Jeep XJ.

The last automobile I had with points was an 80 rabbit. It burned up the first set of points around 7500 miles and kept up similar behavior until I sold it around 150K. The spark plug wires were situated where they picked up a lot of salt water from the road and I went through several sets of them also.

To convert the tractor I own , I would need an electronic ignition for a 3 cylinder. Maybe I need to put this issue in my to look up list.